Objectives and content
This course is only available to newcomers, i.e. those on the civic integration path. It teaches Dutch up to level A2 and en comprises the following objectives:
- You will learn the basic vocabulary and the basic grammar of the Dutch language.
- Speaking skills: You will learn how to give personal information and have simple conversation. The first classes of this level also deal with the pronunciation of the Dutch language.
- Communicative skills (such as giving instructions, inviting someone, or explaining a problem) will be practised so that you can fluently use them in daily life. Different forms of speaking exercises will be done in class, such as class and group conversations and pair work.
- Listening skills: Via semi-authentic listening fragments, you will familiarise yourself with spoken Dutch. The assignments are focussed on understanding the gist of given information.
- Writing skills: You will learn how to fill out forms with personal information and how to write short messages (a letter, an email). You will also learn how to write short texts on topics from everyday life (living, hobbies).
- Reading skills: You will familiarise yourself with short texts and how to find and structure relevant information.
Required prior knowledge
No prior knowledge of Dutch is required. Basic knowledge of English, French or German is required (required level: A2 within the Common European Framework).
There is a final test.
- Veerle Van Eetvelde & Dominique Neyts. ENT2R – 1. Nederlands voor Anderstaligen – Niveau 1. Pelckmans Pro. ISBN 978-94-6337-257-2
- Supplementary UCT-handbook
You will receive these books from your language teacher in class.
- Jenny van der Toorn-Schutte (2004). Eenvoudige Basisgrammatica NT2. Boom. ISBN 978-90-5352-968-3
- Peter Schoenaerts, Helga Van Loo (2018). Thematische woordenschat Nederlands voor Anderstaligen. Intertaal. ISBN 978-90-5451-698-9
If you buy one of these books at Standaard Boekhandel, Kouter 31, 9000 Gent, you will receive a discount of 10% on the official price. Make sure to mention that you take a language course at the UCT. The book ‘Thematische woordenschat Nederlands voor Anderstaligen’ (‘Thematic vocabulary for learners of Dutch’) is also available from UCT.
Are you already registered for this course? Check out our FAQ ‘What to do after my registration?’.